Online dating is now a common and widely accepted practice to meet other people and start a romantic or sexual relationship, or just make new friends. Badoo, Match.com, Meetic, Tinder and Zoosk are some of the most prominent dating services today. According to a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 35% of couples married between 2005 and 2012 met online. Online dating is also a multimillion dollar industry. Some other interesting facts about online dating:
- Men make 80% of the initial contacts which only 25% were actually reciprocated.
- Today 33% of couples have met online. By 2040 this number will rise to 70%.
- 38% of American singles have used a dating services.
- The US dating service market is estimated to be worth $2.2 billion.
- Users posting a full body profile photo increase their chances of getting a response on average by 203%, but posting profile photos of you and your friends decreases your chance of response by 42%.
- The average dating site customers spends $239 a year.
- Online dating sites in the US spent $241 million on national TV ad placements in 2013.
- Mobile dating apps generated a billion dollars in 2011. By 2016 it is expected to be worth 2.3 billion.
Multiple companies provide dating services either through their websites or cell phone apps (as those mentioned above). They differ in terms of their target audience, what sort of relationship their users are looking for, and whether users pay for the service or it is free of charge, among other things.
If you change your mind, you can change your vote simply by clicking on another option.
Best online dating site or app: Badoo, Match.com, Meetic, Tinder or Zoosk?
New to netivist?
Join with confidence, netivist is completely advertisement free. You will not receive any promotional materials from third parties.