Check out our top 9 greatest rugby players of all time. Who do you think is the best rugby player ever? Vote and tell us about his merits and achievements
The 2015 Rugby World Cup is over. As our users had predicted, the All Blacks won. Now we want to propose an even more challenging and divisive discussion: the best rugby player ever! We have shortlisted eight of the most talented and best known players in rugby history: David Campese (Australia), Dan Carter (New Zealand), Gareth Edwards (Wales), Bryan Habana ( South Africa), Martin Johnson (England), Jonah Lomu (New Zealand), Richie McCaw (New Zealand), Brian O’Driscoll (Ireland) and Jonny Wilkinson (England). You also have the opportunity to add to the comments below any other name you think deserved to make it to the list.
Best rugby player ever?
- Sir Gareth Owen Edwards (1947) is arguably the best Welsh rugby player ever. He is one of the few to win three Grand Slams. He used to play scrum-half.
- David Ian Campese (1962), also known as Campo, is a former Australian player (wing). He used to hold the record for the most tries in test matches. He was voted player of the tournament at the 1991 Rugby World Cup.
- Martin Osborne Johnson (1970) is one of the greatest locks in the history of rugby. He captained England to victory in the 2003 Rugby World Cup.
- Jonah Tali Lomu (1975-2015) played as a left wing for New Zealand. He has been described as the first true global superstar of rugby union. He is one of the Rugby World Cup all-time top try scorers.
- Jonathan Peter Wilkinson (1979), or Jonny Wilkinson, has been considered one of the best fly-halves in Rugby history. Despite the many injuries he suffered during his career, he held the record for most points scored in test matches. He was also part of the English team who won the World Cup in 2003.
- Brian Gerald O'Driscoll (1979) is a former outside center Irish rugby player. He is the highest try scorer in Irish Rugby and one of the highest try scorer in international rugby.
- Richard Hugh McCaw (1980) is the most capped test rugby player of all time. He predominantly played in the openside flanker position for New Zealand, and captained the All Blacks in 110 matches, including winning and retaining the World Cup in 2011 and 2015.
- Daniel William Carter (1982) He is the highest points scorer in test match rugby and was part of the successful New Zealand rugby teams who won the World Cup in 2011 and 2015.
- Bryan Gary Habana (1983) is a South African rugby player (wing). During the 2015 Rugby World Cup he equalled Lomu's record of 15 tries.
Tough choice, isn't it? If you think than other players, such as Serge Blanco (France), Michael Jones (New Zealand), François Pienaar (South Africa), John Eales (Australia), etc. should have been included in our top 9, please write their names in the comment section and if many people like your comment we will add them to the poll.
If you change your mind, you can change your vote simply by clicking on another option.
Who is the best rugby player of all time?
New to netivist?
Join with confidence, netivist is completely advertisement free. You will not receive any promotional materials from third parties.