Find out who is winning our Jack Nicklaus vs Tiger Woods poll. Learn about their impressive records and tell us who is in your opinion the best golfer ever
Jack Nicklaus vs Tiger Woods
Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods are two legends that broke most records in golf history. The impressive number of tournaments and variety of achivements of these American sportsmen makes difficult to decide who is the all time best. Nicklaus won 18 career major championships, while producing 19 second place and 9 third place finishes in them, over a span of 25 years. Despite focusing on the major championships (Masters Tournament, U.S. Open, Open Championship, and PGA Championship), and playing a selective schedule of regular PGA Tour events, he still finished with 73 victories. Some people argue that Nicklaus has the edge over Woods due to the variety of his achievements.
On the other hand, Woods has has been world number one for the most consecutive weeks and for the greatest total number of weeks of any other golfer. He has been awarded PGA Player of the Year a record eleven times. Woods has also won 14 major championships and 79 PGA Tour events. Woods is still young and in active so his record is very likely going to increase in the coming years. However, young golfers such as the Northern Irish star Rory McIlroy may make much more difficult for Woods matching some of Nicklaus achievements.
Most memorable moments
Top Jack Nicklaus moments
- 1986 Masters: Nicklaus won his 18th professional major and sixth green jacket
- 1980 U.S. Open: Jack Nicklaus was coming off his worst season but he managed to win his fourth U.S. Open title, two strokes ahead of runner-up Isao Aoki
- 1970 British Open: after three years without winning any major and after having lost his father, Nicklaus won at St Andrews after a playoff with Doug Sanders
- 1964 Masters: he broke the tournament record by three shots
- 1962 U.S. Open: Nicklaus ended Arnold Palmer's reign after his playoff victory 71-74
Top Tiger Woods moments
- 2008 U.S. Open: despite a knee injury, Tiger Woods defeats Rocco Mediate taking his fourteenth major
- 2006 British Open: two months after his father passed away, Woods beats Chris DiMarco on the eighteenth green
- 2005 Masters: after a three-year drought in the majors, Woods defeated DiMarco in a playoff round
- 2002 U.S. Open: Woods defeats world number two Phil Mickelson and become the first player after Jack Nicklaus to with the Masters and US Open in the same year
- 1997 Masters: woods won his first major with a course record of eighteen-under-par
If you change your mind, you can change your vote simply by clicking on another option.
Jack Nicklaus vs Tiger Woods: who is the best golf player ever?
New to netivist?
Join with confidence, netivist is completely advertisement free. You will not receive any promotional materials from third parties.