Source: Composite image by G_marius
Star Trek and Star Wars are the most influential sci-fi sagas. We debate these two universes and outline some of the best quotes. Also check out some of the most iconic scenes of Start Trek and Star Wars. Join our debate and vote!
Star Trek and Star Wars are the most influential sagas in the history of science fiction. Both sci-fi franchises successfully created rich universes which have inspired multitudes of books, video games, toys, and TV series. We compare the two and select a few of the best quotes the characters of these sagas left us.
Star Trek vs Star Wars
Star Trek is a science fiction franchise created by Gene Roddenberry. The Original Series was released in 1966 and ran for three seasons on NBC. Star Trek narrates the space exploration and interstellar adventures of James T. Kirk, Captain of the starship USS Enterprise, and its crew, which included Spock, Leonard McCoy, Montgomery Scott, Pavel Chekov, Nuota Uhura, and Hikaru Sulu among others. The Enterprise explored the galaxy on behalf of the "United Federation of Planets". They searched new life and civilization, and often fought the extraterrestrial Klingons. The series were so sucessful that several TV spin-off series were launched afterwards: Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager, Star Trek: Enterprise and Star Trek: Discovery, the latest series which first season was aired in 2017. Ten films were also produced from 1979 to 2002. In 2009, the film franchise underwent a relaunch with Star Trek, a prequel to the original series directed by JJ Abrams. A sequel to this film, Star Trek Into Darkness, followed in 2013 and new one Star Trek Beyond has been anounced to mark the 50th anniversary of the interestellar saga in 2016. The trekkies are surely delighted that their favorite characters will be back soon.
Star Wars is an epic sci-fi space opera franchise created by the film director and producer George Lucas. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977) was the first movie of a trilogy that was completed with The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return of the Jedi (1983). Star Wars became a worldwide pop culture phenomenon. Iconic characters such as Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Yoda or Darth Vader have left a deep imprint on many of us. Some of the scenes and scenarios in the movies also stimulated our imagination, such as the Mos Eisley Cantina on Tatooine, the battle on the icy planet Hooth or the destruction of the Death Star. And what about its music? who doesn't recognize the fantastic John Williams soundtrack? A prequel trilogy was later released Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999), Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002), and Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005). The first movie of a third trilogy, Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015), has just been released. As with the reboot of Star Trek, for this new Star Wars JJ Abrams has been the chosen director to bring back to the big screen some of the most glorious elements of George Lucas saga.
Some of the best scenes of Star Trek and Star Wars
Some of the best Star Trek quotes
- "They seemed to have been spared the agony of your first three World Wars, doctor". Mr. Spock
- "Live long and prosper." Mr. Spock
- "Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before." Captain Kirk
- "I have been, and always shall be, your friend." Mr. Spock
- "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." Mr. Spock
- "You look quite well for a man that's been 'utterly destroyed', Mr. Spock." Captain Kirk
Some of the best Star Wars quotes
- "Luke, you can destroy the Emperor. He has foreseen this. It is your destiny. Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son." Darth Vader
- "You can’t win, Darth. Strike me down, and I will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine." Obi-Wan Kenobi
- "It's a trap!" Admiral Ackbar
- "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope." Princess Leia
- "Laugh it up, Fuzz ball." Han Solo
- "No. I am your Father." Darth Vader
If you change your mind, you can change your vote simply by clicking on another option.
Star Trek vs Star Wars, which sci-fi universe is more interesting?
New to netivist?
Join with confidence, netivist is completely advertisement free. You will not receive any promotional materials from third parties.