Time to make predictions for the NBA 2015–16 season. Check out users' forecasts on who will win the finals and join our discussion on the best basketball team
Winning the NBA finals is one of the greatest collective achievements in modern sports. Will the defending champions, the Golden State Warriors, be able to win again the NBA Championship ring this year? Can the Lakers overcome their two-year long losing streak? Will Lebron James make it all the way through with the Cavaliers? And what about Kevin Durant? Will he be spared by injuries this year to lead the Oklahoma City Thunder to a championship victory? Let’s take a look at the main contenders and see what is, in our users' views, the best basketball team and the most likely winner of the next NBA finals.
Who will win the NBA championship?
- Golden State Warriors. The current champions are obviously the first option in our poll. Stephen Curry, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson and their teammates will try to win a fifth title for the Warriors franchise (the third one since they moved to California in 1962). A new ring would make them tie with the San Antonio Spurs as the fourth most successful team in the NBA history.
- Cleveland Cavaliers. Any team with Lebron James on its payroll automatically becomes a title contender. Moreover, James is not alone, and this year Kevin Love and Anderson Varejao could make the difference. The Cavaliers will be extra motivated after last season's defeat in the finals against the Warriors.
- San Antonio Spurs. The Spurs were the 2014 champions and have been consistently reaching final stages over the last decade. This season the already strong team (Leonard, Duncan, Parker) has been completed with great players such as LaMarcus Aldridge or David West. In case of victory, the Spurs could tie with the Chicago Bulls as the third most successful team in the history of the NBA with six titles.
- Los Angeles Clippers. After being in the shadow of a mighty neighbor for many years, the Clippers have built a solid team and could be able to win the NBA championship ring for the first time. Chris Paul, DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin are ready to make history.
- Oklahoma City Thunder. Kevin Durant is considered by many the best basketball player in the NBA (on a par with Lebron James and Stephe Curry). Last was an injury-riddled season for him but Durant is back and 2015–16 seems promising for him. With the support of Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka, the the rest of his teammates Durant has very strong chances of winning a second NBA title for the franchise (previously Seattle Supersonics).
- Chicago Bulls. The oft-injured Derrick Rose is healthy, a new coach has been hired, and even if the Bulls are not clear favorites, they could surprise everyone and go very far in the competition. Gasol and Mirotic can also provide a strong contribution to the team. Can the Bulls win the finals for the first time after the Michael Jordan era?
Finally, we thought we could not forget the two most successful franchises in the history of the NBA. Even if we are not witnessing their best moments, the season is long, and they still have brilliant players that could contribute to a leap forward in terms of performance.
- Boston Celtics. They won the last of their 17 titles in 2008. Last year the team qualified for the playoffs but was eliminated in the first round by the Cavaliers. Can Isaiah Thomas, Amir Johnson, Marcus Smart and the rest of the team surprise us all and bring an eighteenth Championship ring to Boston?
- Los Angeles Lakers. Since they won their last Championship in 2010, the Lakers are clearly in decline. Last year they lost 61 games and finished penultimate of their division, not qualifying for the playoffs for the second time in a row. Kobe Bryant is now 37 but a young player named D’Angelo Russell could become the new leader the team may need.
Make your predictions below: vote and explain why on the comment section.
If you change your mind, you can change your vote simply by clicking on another option.
Who will win the 2016 NBA finals?
New to netivist?
Join with confidence, netivist is completely advertisement free. You will not receive any promotional materials from third parties.