Gamers have different choices when it comes to hardware. PC and console gaming have their pros and cons. Which format do you think is better? Why?
On netivist we are discussing some of dilemmas gamers face, such as the best new generation console, AAA or Indie games, and if we should buy physical or digital games. But above all these controversies, there is a recurrent topic of debate that seems to be far from being solved: PC vs console gaming.
PC gaming vs console gaming
Gamers are split about this issue. Although many of them have developed a strong loyalty to the type of hardware they use, the question is still open and many people throughout their lives change their minds about their preferred gaming format. Over the last few years we are obserbing a re-emergence of PC gaming, which was for some time overshadowed by the success of consoles and economically harmed by internet "piracy". Sales of PC games are increasing again, in particular in digital format thanks to platforms like Steam. Developers are once more creating AAA games and adapting some of their greatest console hits for PC gaming.
Advantages of PC
There are several pros to the use of a PC in gaming:
- More powerful hardware than consoles which allows in general better visuals and a faster framerate.
- Backward compatibility. Unlike with most consoles, with newer PCs you can almost certainly play your old games.
- The hardware can be upgraded, so your gaming machine doesn't have to become obsolete. You can buy a new graphic card or more RAM memory to run newer more technically demanding games.
- You can play with a keyboard, which gives you much more control in many games. This is particulary important in competitive online gaming.
- There are many PC exclusive games you will not find on a console, such as World of Warcraft, DotA2 and League of Legends.
- Finally, many PC games allow mods. So you can have a laugh customizing your characters or enemies in your games.
Advantages of consoles
However, consoles also have many strengths that have made them so popular in the last couple of decades. Some of the most relevant are:
- Consoles, even last generation ones, tend to be cheaper that PCs. Sometimes the graphic card of a PC alone requires a larger investment than buying a console and controllers.
- You can easily play a console while on your coach and use your TV. Relax time!
- Consoles can't be upgraded, but that is often perceived also as an advantage. You know that games are build for a particular configuration so all games will play well in the console. No need to buy new hardware.
- Similarly, games are optimized for the console controllers which have become increasingly sophisticated and comfortable. Some consoles are portable or offer remote play.
- Consoles have lots of exclusive games you could rarely find on PC, such as Legend of Zelda, Uncharted and Super Mario, and are also offering many indie games which were in the past usually only available in PCs.
You can enjoy both: PC and consoles, and each has its pros and cons but overall which one would you recommend: PC or console gaming? Vote and tell us about your experience with these formats.
If you change your mind, you can change your vote simply by clicking on another option.
PC vs Console gaming: which format would you recommend?
New to netivist?
Join with confidence, netivist is completely advertisement free. You will not receive any promotional materials from third parties.