Source: This image was created for netivist.org. If you want to use it you simply need to attribute it by linking to this page or to https://netivist.org. Thanks
Picasso produced many incredible paintings. Find out people's favorite masterpiece. Add other paintings that deserve being shortlisted and vote in our poll
Pablo Ruiz Picasso (1881–1973), also known as Pablo Picasso, certainly revolutionized art and was one of the most influential artists of the 20th century. The Spanish painter born in Malaga spent most of his life working in Paris. Together with Georges Bracque, he was a co-founder of the Cubist movement and, as an avant-garde painter, sculptor, printmaker, ceramicist, stage designer, poet and playwright, he mastered various genres and styles.
We already have a public debate on Picasso vs Dali, now we want to discuss Picasso's ultimate masterpiece. We suggest a few paintings here but you can add yours in the comment section. We will add to the list those additional suggestions that receive the most "likes".
Picasso best paintings
- Viejo Guitarrista (The Old Guitarist) : this is one of the paintings from his Blue Period (Período Azul), which is a term used to define his works between 1901 and 1904, when he painted essentially monochromatic paintings in blue. The Old Guitarist was painted in 1903 after the suicide of Picasso’s close friend, Carlos Casagemas.
- Garçon à la pipe (Boy with a pipe): painted in 1905, this work of Picasso’s Rose period, was one of his highest selling paintings. The oil on canvas painting depicts a Parisian boy holding a pipe in his left hand and wearing a garland or wreath of flowers. In 2004 the painting was sold for US$ 104,168,000 at Sotheby's auction.
- Les demoiselles d'Avignon (The Young Ladies of Avignon, and originally titled The Brothel of Avignon): in this proto-Cubism painting from his African-influenced period, created in 1907, Picasso makes a radical departure from traditional European painting. The painting portrays five nude female prostitutes from a brothel on Carrer d'Avinyó (Avinyó Street) in Barcelona.
- Le Rêve (The Dream): this painting from 1932 is considered one of Picasso’s most sensual and famous paintings. It depicts his lover Marie-Therese Walter sitting on a red armchair with her eyes closed. It has been reported that the painting was sold in 2013 for or US$ 155 million, a price that is estimated to be one of the highest ever paid for an artwork by a U.S. collector.
- Guernica: painted in 1937 using a palette of grey, black, and white, is known as one of the most moving and powerful anti-war paintings in history. Guernica is believed to be a response to the bombing of Guernica, a Basque Country village in northern Spain, by German and Italian warplanes.
- Dora Maar au Chat (Dora Maar with cat): painted in 1941, this is one of Picasso’s most valued depictions of his lover and artistic companion. In the painting Dora Maar is seated on a chair with a small cat perched on her shoulders. This work is also one of the world’s most expensive paintings, sold at US$ 92.5 million in 2006.
- Other (add yours to the comment section): Picasso was a very prolific artist who painted over 1,800 paintings throughout his life. The above pieces are just a few suggestions.If your favorite Picasso painting is not included, please add it to the comments section below.
If you change your mind, you can change your vote simply by clicking on another option.
Best Picasso paintings poll: which is his ultimate masterpiece?
New to netivist?
Join with confidence, netivist is completely advertisement free. You will not receive any promotional materials from third parties.