Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain culminates Kojima's popular series. Find out which is the best MGS video game accoding to the fans of the series.
MGS video game series
Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Solid (MGS) is one of the most iconic video game series in history. This franchise, published by Konami, combines the action-adventure stealth genre with an interesting and complex science-fiction plot and memorable characters, such as Solid Snake, Big Boss, Raiden and Revolver Ocelot. MGS is a sequel to Metal Gear (1987) and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (1990), two MSX2 games also directed by Hideo Kojima.
These video games have been very positively received by critics and have had great commercial success. Before the launch of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, more than 40 million copies of the game series had been sold. MGS5 will very likely add a few more millions to the total count. Although nobody questions the quality of this video game series, there is controversy concerning which is the best Metal Gear Solid game.
Best Metal Gear Solid game
- Metal Gear Solid (1998, Playstation, PC). Metacritic score: 94%. Solid Snake, a genetic clone of Big Boss, fights his twin brother, Liquid Snake, who has taken control of the FOXHOUND special forces.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2001, PlayStation 2, PC). Metacritic score: 96%. The protagonist of MGS2 is new FOXHOUND agent named Raiden who fights the terrorist group "Sons of Liberty", which has taken control of the large marine decontamination facility called the Big Shell.
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eaters (2004, PlayStation 2). Metacritic score: 91%. Naked Snake, also known as Big Boss, is sent to the Cold War USSR in 1964 to rescue a defecting Soviet scientist, but things get much more complicated than expected...
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, PlayStation 3). Metacritic score: 93.5%. Old Snake is deployed to neutralize Liquid Ocelot, who controls the five largest private military companies in the world and is preparing a military insurrection to take control of the system.
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010, PSP, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360). Metacritic score: 89%. In 1974, a mysterious and powerful group called the Peace Sentinels is threatening Costa Rica's government and the world balance of power. Big Boss is convinced to travel to Costa Rica to neutralize this new menace.
- Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (2015, PlayStation 4, XBox One, PC, PlayStation 3). Metacritic score: 94.5%. Big Boss creates a new elite military unit, the "Diamond Dogs" to avenge the destruction of his previous mercenary unit (Militaires Sans Frontieres). They face Ocelot, Quiet and the Cipher organization.
If you change your mind, you can change your vote simply by clicking on another option.
Best Metal Gear Solid game? Help us choose Kojima's ultimate masterpiece!
New to netivist?
Join with confidence, netivist is completely advertisement free. You will not receive any promotional materials from third parties.